Our network

Police standoff in south Sacramento ends peacefully

SACRAMENTO - A standoff at a home in south Sacramento ended peacefully when an armed man came out after two and a half hours inside the house. 

Police had to evacuate the area during the incident, but residents were let back in shortly after 9:00 p.m. Sunday.

The neighborhood affected was near the intersection of Montpellier and Mapleton Way.

According to police spokesman Sgt. Norm Leong, the police were called to the home because of a disturbance between the armed man and a girl under the age of 18. When they arrived around 6:30 p.m., the man, who police identified as 23 year-old Syu Yang of Minnesota, pointed a gun at them and went back in the house.

"We initiated our SWAT call-out, and a hostage negotiating team," Leong said.  "Two females came out, eventually."

Leong said there was an indication Yang wanted to talk with police.

Sacramento's Francis House director dies of heart attack

SACRAMENTO, CA -- Long known as a fearless and determined advocate for the homeless and dispossessed, Greg Bunker passed away Tuesday night after suffering a heart attack while on vacation with his wife in Santa Barbara.

A Viet Nam veteran, Bunker came to Sacramento from Cincinnati and found himself drawn to social work. For the past 20 years he was the executive director of Francis House, helping people find jobs, transportation and housing.

"I would have to say that Greg was a champion of trying to end poverty in Sacramento," said Francis House program director Forrest Reed. "He was a hero and a spiritual inspiration. He was a very humble man, but joyous, funny and caring."

Bunker helped initiate the "safeground campaign" after Sacramento's tent city for the homeless was closed, Reed said.

Air quality districts urge no fireplace use during holidays

SACRAMENTO, CA -- For many people, a crackling wood fire in the hearth is just part and parcel of the holiday season.

"I like it," said Greg Thompson who estimated he uses his fireplace at least two or three times a month. "I like the smell, the different aromas...we put a little flavor in our fireplace and jazz it up. We really enjoy it!"

But air quality management districts from Sacramento to Bakersfield are asking that this year, people refrain from that particular holiday tradition.

"What people don't understand," said Jamie Arno of the Sacramento Air Quality Management District, "is that the smoke from fireplaces is very unhealthy. Not only the smoke coming out of the chimney, but also the smoke seeping into the home."

Cops: Woman facing manslaughter charge in Sacramento man's death

SACRAMENTO, CA - Sacramento police detectives have arrested a suspect in the stabbing death of a man Sunday night.

Officer Laura Peck with the Sacramento Police Department said officers responded to the 4200 block of Lotus Avenue at 10:15 p.m. at the request of Sacramento Fire Department personnel. Paramedics had been treating a man with breathing difficulties who had been stabbed.

The man, whose was not released, was transported to an area hospital where he died from his injuries, Peck said.

Detectives investigated and determined the suspect, Liana Rodgriguez, 32, and the victim had an argument. Rodriguez is suspected of stabbing the man, with whom she had been in a relationship, Peck said.

Rodriguez was taken into custody and booked in Sacramento Count Jail on suspicion of manslaughter.

No booze? Sacramento New Year's party goes bust

SACRAMENTO, CA - More than 200 people found themselves all dressed up with no place to go following the sudden cancellation of a New Year's Eve party at Sacramento's Masonic Temple.

The promoter blamed the foul-up on the liquor vendor he hired for the event.  "It would have been the party of the year," said Grady O'Bryant, owner of Sacramento Wine and Nightlife Tours, Inc. 

O'Bryant said a problem with the vendor's liquor license forced him to cancel the event at the last minute.

The liquor vendor, JBeezy Enterprises, has an active caterer permit, according the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control.

ABC spokesman John Carr confirmed the vendor applied for a one-night license for the party, but incorrectly listed the event as a private gathering.  Carr said the event would have also required a city of Sacramento entertainment permit because it was open to the public.

Sacramento teen identified in New Year's Eve fatal shooting

SACRAMENTO, CA - A 15-year-old boy shot and killed on New Year's Eve has been identified as Sacramento resident, Elijah Stacy Cook.

Cook was found suffering from a gunshot wound to his head on the 7400 block of 29th Street just before 10 p.m. Friday, according to Sacramento police spokesman Sgt. Norm leong. When officers arrived, the gunmen had fled the scene.

Two days later, on Jan. 2, officers arrested 20-year-old Johnathan and Jeremy Mendivil for murder, said Leong.

Investigators believe the suspects had gone looking for Cook as retribution for a prior assault. Leong said the Mendivil's were believed to be driving in the Meadowview neighborhood when they recognized Cook as one of three people who assaulted them on Dec. 18. The brothers allegedly confronted Cook before fatally shooting him.

Christmas Eve Grinch stalks Fed Ex truck

SACRAMENTO,CA - A Fed Ex delivery driver looked in his mirrors perplexed, another driver was stalking his truck.

The driver would leave holiday deliveries at the doors with a tag, but suspected a Grinch was soon stealing the Christmas packages, boxes, and bags.

"It's unfortunate that people do that. It's happened before to our neighbor," said Cory Anderson, who was waiting for a Fed Ex package.

A Fed Ex driver called Sacramento police when he noticed a white pickup truck following his route. He said he thought the driver was getting out and taking the packages he just delivered. He took down the license plate number and description.

"I've heard about it and I've known about it, but its something that happens on occasion unfortunately. Tis the season. ho-ho-ho," Tom Harris, Fed Ex Express driver who heard of the report. Harris said he delivered 150 packages today without any incident.

Man identified in Sacramento's first homicide of 2011

SACRAMENTO, CA - Authorities identified the victim in the city's first homicide of the new year as 48-year-old Scott Michael Hanson, of Sacramento.

Sacramento police spokesman Sgt. Norm Leong said Hanson was assaulted on the 2100 block of Amanda Way around 4 :20 a.m. on New Year's Day. Hanson, along with another man, were found in a backyard of a home.

Leong said Hanson died at the scene and the other man, whose name was not released, suffered head trauma and was taken to a local hospital in critical condition.

Investigators were working to determine who was responsible for the fatal beating. As of Monday evening, no arrests have been made in the incident.

Brown: In crisis, we have to learn to work together

SLIDESHOW: Gov. Brown's Inauguration

SACRAMENTO, CA (AP) -- Democrat Jerry Brown has been sworn in as California's 39th governor, returning to the office he left 28 years ago but inheriting a more troubled state than the one he knew then.

Now 72, he took the oath of office inside the Sacramento Memorial Auditorium after being introduced by his wife of five years, former Gap Inc. executive Anne Gust Brown.

Where his predecessor, Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger, expressed optimism at every turn, Brown has been realistic since winning the Nov. 2 election. He says the financial choices facing Californians will be painful.

Sacramento barbershop shooting victim says gunman was aiming at everyone

SACRAMENTO, CA - Still lying in a hospital bed recovering, Adam, who requested his last name not be used, is telling a side to a December south area barbershop shooting story, that no one has ever heard.

The shooting happened on Dec. 14 when a man walked into the Fly Cuts n' Styles Barbershop on Stockton Boulevard and opened fire.

Authorities have all but said it's gang related.

"All of a sudden I just starting hear, pow, pow, pow, bam, bam, bam, bam," Adam said. "After about the second or third round it was probably a good time to hit the floor and take cover."

The 46-year-old was shot in the stomach while lying on the ground. He was inside the barbershop, playing chess, waiting for a haircut.